Elder Devin Kirk

Elder Devin Kirk
I am blessed to be the messenger that is permitted to bring this joyful message to those who are in great need. I have authorization from our Savior, Jesus Christ, to represent Him in this part of the world. I am given the ability to work miracles in the lives of the people. I am guided by His Spirit in all that I do and say. I am given power to testify boldly to all who will listen that Jesus is the Christ and that He has restored His Gospel in these days and that all can be forgiven and receive the blessings of living this Gospel. I cannot begin to express the gratitude I have to be called to this position and be blessed with this assignment.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Arizona Week 13 - Hospital

Hey everyone,

We had another transfer this week (why I'm emailing on a Wednesday) but I'll get back to that later. This past week went pretty well. It feels like it was very busy as we had a deadline for our ASL video. We worked hard on it and it paid off. We were able to present it yesterday at the transfer meeting and received many good comments. As it turns out, I narrated the whole thing, but we modified my voice for the first one so that I would sound like the guy on the TV commercials. 

I would say that this week’s temporal highlight was at the hospital. We were playing sports on Monday morning and one of the Elders collided with another Elder's...finger. The injured elder was holding his hand close to his person cradled in his other hand. When he removed the cover of the uninjured hand, we were able to see the injured hand. We could see that his right ring finger was leaving his hand at an odd angle that placed it behind the pinky finger. Realizing that this isn't how it should normally be, we decided that he should go to the hospital. Being the driver of the only car we have, that responsibility fell on me. What a blessing. This Elder is one of my closest friends on the mission and gosh dang it we had a good time! During the two hours that we were there, there was very little time that I wasn't laughing. I have no doubt that everyone in the ER who interacted with us had their morning made (and quite honestly they really needed it because it was early). This Elder now has a cast, a sling, and has been referred to a hand surgeon. He has also been transferred. And this makes me sad. But we got to keep his mini fridge so it makes it a little better. He and I have grown very close over the past few months, but I know that he will enjoy the new area that he has been sent to.

Another good highlight is the baptism that I attended on Saturday. One of the Spanish Sisters asked if I would sing with her at the baptism. I agreed because I had sung with her at a previous baptism. Saturday came, and we met at the church building to practice. I was surprised to hear her say, "I can't find a Spanish Hymn book." I was in shock and immediately assured her that I did, in fact, NOT speak Spanish. Her reply was, "I have faith in you." So after much trial and error, I sang "Yo Se que Vive Mi Senor" at the baptism. Which, being interpreted, is “I Know that My Redeemer Lives". People assured me afterward that I did sing real Spanish words which was good enough for me. I learned later that one of the members of the Spanish branch bore their testimony about how they had never paid attention to the words of that song until we had sung it at the baptism. It always amazes be how the spirit can cross language barriers with ease, and I was so grateful for the opportunity that I had to participate in the baptism.

So transfers. I have not been transferred. I am remaining exactly where I am with the exception of being a part of a newly formed district which I am finding to be a huge blessing in my life. My companion and I will continue to work on projects assigned by the mission president. We're both excited for the things that we are getting to do. 

As for the spiritual highlight, it would be our lesson with the Chester Family. We have been meeting with them for a while with the intention of strengthening their family and getting them more active in the church. They've been struggling much. However, this time when we visited with them, it was different. The room felt different. They looked different. They sounded different. My companion and I both felt it. They were happy and so were we. We all smiled and spoke freely together. To think that we have had this much influence on this family brings a peace to my heart and motivates me to continue. I'm so happy for the changes that this family is making and how their faith is being strengthened. 

I pray for you all, and I pray that my words may be inspiring to you. I pray that you too can feel the joys of the gospel as I feel it. I love you all and miss you dearly. 

Elder Kirk

No comments:

Post a Comment