Elder Devin Kirk

Elder Devin Kirk
I am blessed to be the messenger that is permitted to bring this joyful message to those who are in great need. I have authorization from our Savior, Jesus Christ, to represent Him in this part of the world. I am given the ability to work miracles in the lives of the people. I am guided by His Spirit in all that I do and say. I am given power to testify boldly to all who will listen that Jesus is the Christ and that He has restored His Gospel in these days and that all can be forgiven and receive the blessings of living this Gospel. I cannot begin to express the gratitude I have to be called to this position and be blessed with this assignment.

Monday, January 27, 2014

Arizona Week 33 - Old 9

Hi Everyone,

It's been an interesting week. We dropped our truck off at the repair shop on Monday to get the door dent fixed (someone backed into the truck in November before I got here). We get quite a way back home (the shop is in Show Low), and they call to say that the key didn’t unlock the door. So we had to drive all the way back to give them the remote. We got home and then the time began where we had no transportation for ourselves. We spent the rest of that night hopping from person to person that could drive us around. The next day came, and we did the same thing. By Wednesday we found out that we would be without the truck until the following Thursday....It's going to be a long week...but then we decided to call the vehicle coordinator for the mission and whine to him for about 10 minutes. He finally decided to be merciful to us. So on Thursday, he came up the mountain with "Old 9." This is the truck that he's been using for the past few months. It's a Chevy Colorado like ours was but it is red instead of white. As he handed me the keys he looked me in the eye and said, "We just got it detailed and ready to sell. Be careful with it..." I stated that I understood and began to walk away when he called out again, "Be careful with it..." So we've been trying to be nice to Old 9 this week. 

The other day we got home and were getting ready for bed when my companion points out a spider on the wall. A big fat brown one! I must have the qualities of my mother because I was instantly filled with fear. I petition my companion for its immediate death. My companion gives the OK but expresses that he cannot kill a living thing...oh, brother. It is now up to me to climb on the chair with my shoe to squish this unwelcome intruder. Not knowing what kind of spider it was or what super powers it had, I was very cautious. Trying to keep as much of my body as far away as I could I swung my shoe and It SLAPS against the wall....just below the spider! A small shriek escapes me. He starts to crawl up the wall. Another swing! Again my shoe just misses but this time the spider falls off the wall onto the floor. Leaping from the chair I began to be in shock as he moves towards the door, I am unable to move. I realized that he would soon be protected by going under the threshold.  I violently began to beat the ground with my shoe to no avail. He found shelter. In a last ditch attempt, I sprayed Permethrin (bed bug repellant) around the door hoping that this would poison him. Sleep did not come easy for me that night. However, last night, we found him....in the garage. The same mistake was not going to be made twice. We weren't going to take any chances so we went upstairs to get the owner of the house to kill it. As a side note, the man mentioned that his wife had heard our…scratch that…MY screams the night of the incident.

The work is going well here though. One of our wards is going to have a fast for missionary work that will last 40 days. This will definitely bring the needed work to the area. Also, the whole stake will be fasting for snow on the 2nd of February so if you find that you have run out of things to pray for, ask for Arizona's White Mountains to get snow. I don't feel like getting evacuated in the summer when the fires start.

I hope you all have a great week


Elder Kirk

No comments:

Post a Comment