Elder Devin Kirk

Elder Devin Kirk
I am blessed to be the messenger that is permitted to bring this joyful message to those who are in great need. I have authorization from our Savior, Jesus Christ, to represent Him in this part of the world. I am given the ability to work miracles in the lives of the people. I am guided by His Spirit in all that I do and say. I am given power to testify boldly to all who will listen that Jesus is the Christ and that He has restored His Gospel in these days and that all can be forgiven and receive the blessings of living this Gospel. I cannot begin to express the gratitude I have to be called to this position and be blessed with this assignment.

Monday, February 10, 2014

Arizona Week 35 - Interviews

Hey everyone,

This was a pretty ordinary week. The only thing different was that we had interviews with President Sweeney. This is always a good experience, especially up here in the mountains because we really only get to talk to him once every six weeks. It becomes an event of sorts.

So today I don't have any crazy stories (last week's makes up for it). The only thing I want to share today are some things that President Sweeney shared with me. We were asked to come prepared to bury a metaphorical weapon of rebellion. I pondered for a while on what I could sacrifice and decided that the only thing that leads to rebellion is pride. I decided to bury my pride so that the Lord could better use me to do his work. I told this to President Sweeney, and he asked what the opposite of pride was. I quickly responded, "Humility," but he said he disagrees. He told me that, for him, the opposite of pride was charity. This puzzled me. I've always been taught that humility and pride are opposite. He went on to explain more using the scriptures. He shared with me Moroni 7:45 from The Book of Mormon Which is a commonly used verse on Charity that reads: 

"And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things."

Having heard this verse many times I wasn't sure where he was going with this. Then he continued and it made sense to me. He had me read it over replacing "charity" with "pride" instead and also to replace all the attributes of charity with their opposites which would go like this,


"And pride is impatient, and rude, and envies the things of others, and is very puffed up, seeketh after his own, is always easily provoked, thinketh of evil constantly, and rejoiceth in iniquity and despises the truth, beareth nothing, believeth nothing, hopeth nothing, endureth nothing."

Is that not also an accurate statement? This helped me to better understand what it is I need to bury and what I should be trying to attain.

I just wanted to share that experience and insight with all of you.


I hope you all have a great week and happy Valentine’s Day. I love you all. I hope the best for you.

Elder Kirk

No comments:

Post a Comment