Elder Devin Kirk

Elder Devin Kirk
I am blessed to be the messenger that is permitted to bring this joyful message to those who are in great need. I have authorization from our Savior, Jesus Christ, to represent Him in this part of the world. I am given the ability to work miracles in the lives of the people. I am guided by His Spirit in all that I do and say. I am given power to testify boldly to all who will listen that Jesus is the Christ and that He has restored His Gospel in these days and that all can be forgiven and receive the blessings of living this Gospel. I cannot begin to express the gratitude I have to be called to this position and be blessed with this assignment.

Monday, July 15, 2013

Arizona Week 6 - Found

Hello everyone,

This was a long week but I had some neat experiences. I find it so fun when a person finds the Gospel to be "familiar" because we have heard it all before. One of my MTC teachers said "we aren't “teachers” but we are “reminders”". It's so true. Here's an example:

Whenever we talk about the Priesthood, we talk about it as power and authority. We use those two words together every time. One guy we've been teaching for a while (whom we have never talked about the priesthood with) said that he knows God has a job for him and he doesn't know what it is. He went on to say that he feels like he can't do it yet until he receives some higher power and authority.

It's amazing how many people we find that are looking for something, they aren't what it is or where to find it, but they know they need it and they want it desperately.

More news on Harry (the one who got baptized last week) he was praying about how he can better prepare himself for the priesthood and was prompted to read in the Book of Mormon. The scripture he read talked about giving alms to those in need, and he had the feeling that he needed to share this great gift he recently received. Next time he saw us, he asked if he could come with us for a day to teach people. We're of course very excited for this.

We had a zone training meeting and many rules were changed, eliminated, and added. There are new dress standards being enforced. One thing that changed about it is the elimination of backpacks while proselytizing (with the exception of camelback types for bicycle areas in the summer months). We now must use one strap shoulder bags. We are now allowed to use the video feature on our cameras. This is of course is in preparation for the arrival of Facebook accounts. Also, my mission is allowing the possession of musical instruments now. Things are moving forward quickly and by the end of this month, every ward in our stake should have its own set of missionaries.

As missionaries, we still find time to have fun. We play sports most mornings and have invented our own version of Quiditch. This was inspired by the fact that when the basketball hoops are raised up in the gyms, the hoop is vertical like a Quiditch ring. We've been playing for a few weeks and, not to boast in my own strength, but I'm pretty darn good at it. This has earned me the nickname among the others as "Wizard.” The most recent time we played, they brought me a broom that they wrote "Nimbus 2000" on and a Santa hat with stars drawn on it in marker. So yes, we have fun too.


I think my favorite experience of this week happened on Saturday. We were on our way to our dinner appointment and there was a man working on his car in front of his house (which neighbored the home of our member that would feed us that night). We took the time to ask if he needed help. He declined the need for help but was impressed by us young men sharing the gospel with people. We talked for a while but he was uncomfortable speaking English (he's from Romania). When he discovered that we were Mormons he said that there was a Mormon living with his family, and they take care of him. He talked about the man watching General Conference every time it's on and that he, himself, enjoys it as well. We were invited inside to speak with the member. The man had many health problems, the most prominent being paralysis. You should have seen his eyes light up as he said, " You...you're Mormon Missionaries!" After speaking for a while, we learned that he had been excommunicated for 20 or more years. He was extremely repentant and was near tears as he said, "I don't want to come back. I NEED to come back!" He told us that he didn't know what to do to come back and that he had been praying for someone to come find him. And find him we did. It brings great joy to be the answer to the prayer of another person. I love being here and I love the things I do and see. The many miracles that occur around me confirm my faith and testimony.
I love you all and I'll talk to you again in 1 week.


Elder Kirk

No comments:

Post a Comment