Elder Devin Kirk

Elder Devin Kirk
I am blessed to be the messenger that is permitted to bring this joyful message to those who are in great need. I have authorization from our Savior, Jesus Christ, to represent Him in this part of the world. I am given the ability to work miracles in the lives of the people. I am guided by His Spirit in all that I do and say. I am given power to testify boldly to all who will listen that Jesus is the Christ and that He has restored His Gospel in these days and that all can be forgiven and receive the blessings of living this Gospel. I cannot begin to express the gratitude I have to be called to this position and be blessed with this assignment.

Monday, May 5, 2014

Arizona Week 47 - Many Souls

Hey everyone,

Well I baptized 20 people in the temple this week. We were able to go to the temple with the youth from one of our wards and perform baptisms and confirmations for those that have passed. It was a wonderful experience, one that I have not had before. It truly is a joy to be able to serve our ancestors in such an eternal way. Serving in the temple is one of the most blessed experiences I can think of.

We were privileged to have interviews with President Sweeney and have our vehicles inspected (yeah, we still have the golden plates). My interview with President Sweeney went very well. He had a lot of good counsel for me. He gave me some assignments to prepare my current companion to be a leader when I leave, and described me as "Zone Leader material". It seems that his plan is to have us stay together one more transfer so that I can prepare him to replace me and then I will be leaving.

Also this week, I interviewed an elderly lady to be baptized. It was such a good experience. I felt bad for her at first because she hadn’t realized that it was going to be a private interview and requested that it be in her home. Their home is very quaint; it basically consists of the living space and the sleeping space. Her husband suggested the bedroom for the interview, but she refused, she was obviously not comfortable with that, which pleased me because I wasn't comfortable with it either. We finally decided on the enclosed porch. We had a great interview, the details of which I am not at liberty to share with you but suffice it to say that she was truly ready for baptism, and she will become a wonderful member of the church.

It seems like the week went very fast and yet the earlier days of the week seem like an eternity ago. That's the pattern that seems to be setting in to my perception of time. For right now, time doesn't matter much to me. I'm getting to the point where all that matters is the people and what I need to do for them. It's kind of nice to not worry about one's self. 

We ate dinner with a family yesterday, and they brought out a guitar and let me play around a little bit. It's been over a year since I have even touched a guitar. Although I'm a little upset about having forgotten so much; I am also surprised that I retained as much as I did. I have decided that the entire time of one of my first weeks home will be dedicated to teaching myself the guitar again.

Things are going very well. There are ups and downs but when viewing it all, I have to say that things are well. It is frustrating and hurtful when others revile and mock you (which happened to me this week). It helps me when I think that the Savior suffered much for all of us. I am no better than He, so I am pleased that in this small way, I can be like Him and stand beside Him.

I love you all,

Elder Kirk

No comments:

Post a Comment